The Bucket Method: Secure Your Financial Future

Learn the Bucket Method for effective savings management with our exclusive video. Discover how to allocate your assets in three strategic buckets for stability, growth, and security. Watch now to optimize your retirement planning!

What is the Bucket Method?

How to Save Money | The Bucket Strategy

There's a popular and easy method to save your money called the Bucket Strategy, which helps retirement savers easily know how much money to save and where to save it.

The Bucket Strategy is a popular and straightforward method for organizing your savings.

Here's a simple breakdown of the three buckets:

Green Bucket: This is for immediate, accessible funds for emergencies.

Your green bucket consists of liquid assets such as checking accounts, savings accounts, or money market funds. These usually earn around 1%, with the primary purpose being liquidity, not growth. This bucket serves as your emergency fund, ideally holding 3-6 months of income that can be readily accessed if needed.

Blue Bucket: This bucket is for safe investments that provide steady income.

In the blue bucket, you place your low-risk assets aimed at preservation with modest growth. This might include bonds, cash-value life insurance, or indexed annuities. These investments are generally very safe, with returns ranging from 4% to 8%. The focus here is on steady, reliable growth.

Red Bucket: This bucket is for higher-risk investments that offer the potential for higher returns.

The red bucket is where you place your market investments such as stocks, mutual funds, 401(k)s, or IRAs. This bucket offers the possibility for substantial gains but also carries a risk of loss due to market downturns. The allocation in this bucket is usually based on your age, risk tolerance, and retirement objectives.

Implementing the Bucket Strategy in Your Financial Plan:

The green bucket is your foundation, containing liquid assets for immediate needs. For the rest of your savings, the allocation between the blue and red buckets can be guided by the Rule of 100. This rule suggests that your age should determine the percentage of your savings in the blue bucket. For instance, if you are 35, then 35% of your savings should be in the blue bucket, with the remaining 65% in the red bucket. This strategy allows younger individuals to take advantage of market upsides and recover from any losses, given the benefit of time.

As you age, increasing your allocation to the blue bucket can help secure a majority of your savings in safer investments, providing modest, steady gains and reducing risk.

The Bucket Strategy is an effective, clear way to manage your retirement savings by ensuring you have funds set aside for emergencies, steady income, and growth potential. It prepares you for unexpected expenses while building a robust foundation for a secure and rewarding retirement.

Reach Out!

Life Insurance IMO | Living Benefits IMO
Let’s explore how we can grow together.